BOOKLOVER: IT

09:52:00

Yes Halloween is over, our fake lashes and heavy make-ups are back in our drawers and we look forward to christmas now, but it is still dark outside, still foggy and cold which means it is still the perfect season for a good book and hot tea to curl up with.
Before we move on to chick-lit and romantic stories for december let´s take some more time for our inner horror fan. I would like to introduce you to one of the best books that have ever been written: IT by Stephen King.
I first saw the cover of this horror classic with the creepy clown on it when I was about six years old. It obviously left six year old me sleepless (especially after my dad explained me the rough plot) and I vowed I would never read such a horrible story. About twelve years later I came across it again, this time more fearful of how thick it was, since the book has about 1000 pages. But the little girl, who only watched children appropriate TV for 30 minutes a day, had turned into a real horror movie fan by then, even though I still watch about 80 percent of the film through the cracks of my fingers and so I was intrigued to read the book despite my vow.
I got sucked into the story within seconds and IT kept me sleepless again, but this time more for his incredibly fascinating story, the tension that King manages to upkeep despite the bible like-length of the book and the secret around a creature haunting a typical small town in the north east of the USA: Derry, which has loads of prejudice white people, a clear cut between rich and poor and a pretty library.
There is however one thing that Derry has, which a lot of towns are lacking: a creature that haunts it about every forty years, preying above all on children, but also causing an exorbitant amount of violence in the town through his dark influence.
Derry´s inhabitants and we do not know what exactly this creature is, but it does not take a long time to realize that it is the pure evil.
We get to know six rather unfortunate children, who all have come across IT in one of his various forms and after forming the "Loser´s Club" decide to fight it. But will they be succesful and is it actually possible to kill IT afterall?
King has been called the master of horror and he truly is. I am pretty sure that there is no horror movie that will toy with your emotions and experiences as much as his books and I doubt that once you start IT you will able to put it down unless you have to. IT is his absolute masterpiece, I love it more than all of the other books by him that I have read and his mastery construction of this evil taking the form of our inner most fear and the way he shows how this evil can be found in every person will leave you with a haunted feeling for days even after you finished IT.
Do you like Stephen King and did you finish this book in a few days like I did? Which is your favourite spooky tale? Let me know in the comments!



You Might Also Like

5 Kommentare

  1. Ich habe das Buch irgendwann als Teenager zu Weihnachten bekommen... Am Morgen des 27.12. hatte ich es durchgelesen, so sehr hat es mich gefesselt. :D Vor ein paar Jahren habe ich es nochmal gelesen und es hat mich wieder so begeistert. Einfach toll!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I've never read a Stephen King book before but have always wanted too.. Think I'll start with this, I really want to read it now!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Ein Klassiker! Ich habe es geliebt. Würde behaupten, das beste Buch von King. xxx

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Sounds like a great book! May be I'll be brave enough to begin it:)
    May be you'd like to follow each other? Let me know:)

    Maggie from
    http://secretpassageinthebilberrypay.blogspot.ru/2014/11/zarina-spring-sumer-2015.html

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. Finde es super, dass du alles auf englisch schreibst :) Muss mir das Buch definitiv mal anschauen!
    Liebst, lena xx www.itslenasjourney.blogspot.de

    AntwortenLöschen

Thanks so much for your lovely comments, constructive criticism and suggestions. I will try to answer all of you!

Subscribe